The quaint, old house was built in 1880 by Brynjólfur Oddsson, a bookbinder, and since 1897, there have been rooms for let in the building.
The house was recently refurbished in the ‘Old Scandinavian’ style with all its original features being recycled and updated. The job was done with such care that the building’s owners received an award from the Reykjavík City Council for outstanding renovation work.
Nesting next to the guesthouse is a small square dedicated to Bríet Bjarnhéðinsdóttir, an Icelandic suffragette and early advocate for women’s rights, who was among the first women to be elected to the City Council. We thought it only fitting to name the guesthouse Bríet in her honour.